Sunday, November 22, 2009

Top Ten Reasons Why Live Theatre Is Awesome

I am a drama nerd. I love watching theatre, working at the theatre, and being in theatre. Currently I am playing the role Moritz Stiefel in Theatre Western's production of Spring Awakening.



This is why I feel it is an opportune moment for me to blog about why I find theatre to be such an exhilarating experience. And what better way than in list form... here goes:

1. Of all the entertainment mediums what could be more a real and rich experience than watching people live, right in front of you, on stage?

2. I could not feel more alive than when I am on stage.

3. Instant audience feedback/ participation.

4. It is unedited-- If somebody messes up then you get to watch them fix their mistake. Whether they do it well or poorly it still tends to be hilarious!

5. Intermission.

6. Every performance something new happens-- you will never see that exact same thing twice.

7. It forces you to be in the moment, if only for a second, regardless of what side of the stage you are on.

8. When you are in the theatre-- you can feel the energy bouncing off of the walls.

9. You can become (or become engrossed in) a completely different person for a few hours. All of your troubles, trials, and tribulations disappear for a couple of hours.

10. Clapping, laughing, crying, and of course, expecting the unexpected.

1 comment:

  1. Great show. Great role!
    I am also a theatre dork. Although I do not act,sing or perform in any way I am a huge musical theatre junky. I actually saw the tour of SA in toronto last march. It was great and incredibly moving. My current obsession is Hair, which is currently on broadway. So amazing.
    I also got to dance on stage after I saw Hair in October...with the cast...singing let the sun shine in. Happiest moment of my life? I think so.
    Anywho, break a leg next weekend! show them what the bitch of living is...:P

    ReplyDelete